The pandemic together with my birth mother’s death in February 2020 gave me much space and time for self-reflection and re-examination of my beliefs, values, and principles.
The accompanying lock-down and being at home the majority of the time — which isn’t really that much more unusual for a homebody — left much room and opportunity for healing, releasing, grieving, and mourning. [As if I hadn’t been doing enough of those over the years, eh?]
Hence, my posts have focused on getting to the bottom of my maternal wounding — releasing and giving a voice to what was both suppressed and repressed for the longest time.
Society, with its deep patriarchal conditioning, is quick to shame and condemn those [of us] who are mustering the courage to speak authentically about their [our] ill experiences with their [our] mothers.
But I am no longer afraid or hesitant to speak about it — thankfully. At least, not as much as before.
A huge part of my self-examination is revisiting my beliefs around healing and forgiveness, especially those which have leaned heavily towards New Age teachings, resulting in spiritual bypassing and toxic and feigned positivity.
These New Age beliefs that I had embraced brought about premature forgiveness and superficial closure and completion.
The teachings also have, quite sadly, harmed and re-traumatized me when they were hurled at and forced on me; I, too, have re-traumatized others when I advocated these teachings for which I am most regretful!
And much thanks to Lissa Rankin, M.D. who, quite synchronistically, has been talking extensively about the topic on her Facebook page — following the recent [controversial] resignation of Rebekah Boruck from Hay House, which is also the former publisher of Lissa.
Watch Rebekah’s video below [“Why I Left Hay House Publishing: Racism, Resistance, and Conspiracy Theories – BEXLIFE“] —
Lissa’s posts sparked quite thought-provoking conversations!
She unpacked the following New Age teachings, which I, too, have been questioning over the years — even as I have, at one point, parroted them:
1. Be here now.
2. Your negative thoughts are not real and need to be fixed.
3. Reality is an illusion. Only love is real.
4. Fear is the opposite of love. The only virus is the pandemic of fear. A miracle is when we choose love over fear.
5. “Get out of your victim story.”
6. Your ego is a pig. You need to kill it.
7. The law of attraction/manifestation teachings.
8. All mental and physical illnesses will go away with a healthy diet.
9. All disease is the result of a weak immune system and can be reversed with diet, supplements, and integrative and functional medicine.
10. We’re in the midst of a Great Awakening, 5D shift, transition to a new utopia, and all the unenlightened non-“woke” “Muggles” (note the smug superiority — aka white privilege of this belief) will stay in this 3D hell hole while the others ascend.
11. Surrender your ego to Divine Will (or to a spiritual teacher serving as the embodiment of some sort of divinity who claims to have special access to Divine Will).
12. Spiritual surrender means giving up your discernment and just saying yes to whatever life offers you without boundaries.
13. Neo-shamanism as a culturally appropriated tool for White people to exploit and profit from Indigenous wisdom, spirituality, and healing practices.
14. Sick people call in illness as a soul growth assignment so they can grow spiritually.
15. Non-attachment and non-judgment are a sign of enlightenment.
16. Guilt is good, but shame is always a toxic emotion we should avoid at all costs.
17. Everything is energy, and therefore if you raise your vibration enough, and your energy is aligned with the energy of light, then your physical and mental ailments will always magically disappear (and you’ll never get COVID).
18. The attainment of spiritual perfection (enlightenment) also means you will attain a perfect and thin body.
19. “It’s a benevolent Universe, so we should have ‘pronoia’ rather than paranoia.”
20. Changing your wording and refusing to buy into a story will make your painful condition go away.
21. Empaths who penetrate the psychic boundaries of others and do a “reading” without consent are helping you by revealing your blind spots as a direct gift from God.
22. All channels information comes straight from God.
Lissa analyzed the above in her posts, “10 New Age Beliefs We Need To Unpack If We Want To Be Social Justice Allies“ and “12 More New Age Beliefs We Need To Unpack If We Want To Be Social Justice Allies.”
Another author who has been challenging these teachings quite extensively — long before Lissa — is Jeff Brown, whose writings I have been following for several years.
This blog, Aligning With Truth, is celebrating its 9th anniversary [11-11]. Many of these misleading New Age teachings have found their way on this site. I cringe when I re-read some of them, and, like Lissa, I am deeply sorry that I have harmed and re-traumatized others because I parroted some of these misleading teachings in my writings.
And I invite you to join me in examining these beliefs and teachings. Should we realize how misleading [some of] these teachings are, I hope and pray that we stop parroting them, so we don’t cause further harm and re-traumatize others.
What New Age teachings do you find misleading to which you no longer subscribe? Are there others that you want to add to the list?